BG

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Breastfeeding Study

Megan is taking part in a breastfeeding study at the University of Idaho. It is a study involving the consumption of high and low fat dairy foods. The purpose of this study is to begin to understand how dietary dairy fats affects the expression of genes in the mammary cell. It is a seven week study. I have made it through the first two weeks. The first week I went in two days in a row and gave a sample. Then I started the fat dairy diet on July 1st. Yes, I get two 8 oz glasses of whole milk a day, a cup of cream yogurt and a slice of Tillamook cheese. I thought all of this dairy might upset Emma, but she is doing very well. I notice her spit up is creamier and thicker. I'm sure this is not helping my baby weight come off, but that is okay. I will finish the fat dairy diet next Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday I will go give a sample. I will continue on my normal diet starting next Tuesday for two weeks. Then the low fat dairy diet begins. It will be interesting to see the results from the study.

2 comments:

  1. I would be interested in hearing the results of this study! With Jenna I had to cut dairy products out of my diet while nursing because it upset her tummy. Not sure why it bothered her?? Lactose sensitivity?? Anyways, very interesting study- keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it bothered Emma early on as well. It doesn't seem to bother her now though. Not sure. They said it can take up to 12 months for the results. I will keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete